As a Highly Skilled Migrant, and if you use the 30% rule, you can easily convert your South African drivers license to a Dutch one, without having to take driving lessons. The first 180 days after arrival, you can use your South African drivers license.
When the 30% rule takes effects (approximately after 3 months), you can convert your old drivers license to a Dutch one. This also applies to your possible partner.
1. Get your CBR Health document at cbr.nl (gezondheidsverklaring).
2. Get your 30% ruling approval letter.
3. Make sure your SA Drivers license is still valid.
4. You also need your Dutch residence card.
5. Make an appointment at the municipality where you live.
Oh, and keep in mind, we drive at the ‘right’ side of the road 😉